On March 2nd I shot over 150 images and videos on two cameras & my iPhone covering two student assemblies for the Jump for the Heart initiative. On the prior Wednesday, February 28th, I shot over 270 images covering a rugby demo/promo event. The Friday before that, February 23rd, I shot over 270 images covering my school’s Black History Assembly. Add to this, shots taken daily covering all of the random things happening on campus and in my STEAM Lab, that’s over 800 images/videos shot in last three weeks. There are stories here that I want to share, I just need to find the workflow and schedule that will help with this editing/posting/sharing log jam. I’m so insane to imagine that this is at all manageable. 😎
Many years ago I remember telling my middle school yearbook/journalism students that of the 500 shots taken at whatever dance/event, I needed them to find the three to five shots that told the story of the event. Alas, things have gotten much more complicated now in that for any given shot there might also be a six-second video version and I’ve added 360° video to the mix. Previously I would just have to slug it out through the hundreds of images/videos and find those five images. But now I can create a slideshow video version of the event that is built by the computer of the hundreds of images AND videos taken of the event. I still need to go through the process of tossing any image that is poorly shot or does help tell the story. I used this automated slideshow method with the big robotics events and behind-the-scenes images/videos. I still need to find the three to five shots that tell the story but I can also let the computer build a 1-minute version that uses 100s of images and video clips from the event(s). Except in non-digital environments (like a printed yearbook) this feels like a win-win. Now I need to decide whether I’m going to jettison my Lightroom monthly subscription because I can get the job done using less expensive tools.